At an IEM school, families work with one of our Education Specialists (ES) to develop an individualized learning plan carried out by the family in a home-based setting. All of our ESs are California credentialed teachers and all our schools are WASC accredited.
Parents will work with our ES to select individualized curriculum based on learning style and functioning grade level. The ES will recommend materials, resources, and supportive instruction using real-life environments to enhance the learning experience. Our schools have access to a wide variety of vendors who provide learning materials, instruction, classes, and tutoring.
Our ESs are highly trained professionals available to support your family in finding the best learning opportunities for your children.
Want further information? See our parent FAQ:
- South Sutter Charter School (SSCS): Services families residing in Sutter, Sacramento, Yuba, Butte, Colusa, Yolo, and Placer counties. Services students TK-12th grade.
- Ocean Grove Charter School (OGCS): Services families residing in Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. Services students TK-12th grade.
- Sky Mountain Charter School (SMCS): Services families residing in San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, Kern, and Inyo counties. Services students TK-12th grade.
How do I know if homeschool is right for my family?
Choosing the right learning environment is a big decision for parents. One of your many choices is homeschooling. Homeschooling is not right for everyone. Each student and each family is different with different goals, values, working situations and many other things. How do you decide? We hope the list below help you with your decision.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Why do I want to homeschool?
- Why do I want to leave my current situation?
- Does my work schedule allow the time for the homeschooling commitment?
- Does my child want to homeschool?
- Does my family support homeschool?
- How would it be better for my child?
- How would it be better for my family?
- Individualized learning based on the students interest and abilities.
- Actively involved with what your child learns and when they learn it.
- Opportunity for student to learn at their own pace.
- Spend more time with your children.
- You are the day to day teacher.
- You get to choose fun activities.
- You get to choose the schedule.
- You have more family/school time flexibility.
- Protect your child from negative influences.
- Encourage your child’s natural talents.
- Family values are taught.
- Many learning opportunities not available in traditional school.
- 24 hour a day commitment – you may have less time for yourself.
- Kids do not leave for school each day.
- Family and friends may question your choice.
- The weight of responsibility for your child’s education.
- May affect ability to work outside of home.
- Need to be supportive even when you don’t feel like it.
- Ability to juggle the responsibility.